What is Information Technology?
Information Technology which is abbreviated as IT in simplest form is defined as a technology that makes use of computers for collecting, processing, protecting as well as storing and transferring the collected or stored information. Today’s world seemed to be unimaginable without information and technology as computers are working as an integral part of today’s networking world.
Basically, we all are aware of the fact that the basic operating principle of computers is that single or multiple units can input data within the computers.
The inserted data is that processed and the obtained result after processing is transmitted to the output devices. An output device that displays the result can be a screen or other electric device like any storage device.
Introduction to Information Technology
Nowadays information technology is used by an individual person as well as business companies and large enterprises. If we talk about the global use of information technology then it is used for managing data to execute innovative processes.
Information Technology helps in managing data in any of the possible forms such as text, voice, image, audio, video, etc. The Internet is known to be a crucial part of IT as transferring data is very much related to the internet.
In the simplest possible terminology, IT can be regarded as a field related to computing technology. As internet is quite a crucial part of information technology so as hardware, software, and computer networking.
For instance, computer software is basically a computer program (stored within it) that includes codes and instructions. While computer hardware is the physical component of any computer system like a keyboard, mouse, etc.
Importance of Information Technology
Various small and large organizations function at a great pace because of inbuilt IT systems. It is almost impossible to run or handle any business or firm that does not even partially make use of computers and connecting networks. With the use of information technology, services at the standard level can be maintained that are secured at a higher level.
Through information technology, various present, as well as future needs of the company, can be fulfilled. Following are the parameters over which the IT professionals are looking after:
Cloud Computing: It is basically a computing technology where huge data are stored at a central hub. Nowadays almost all business firms rather than operating through their server farms, operate using cloud services. In cloud services, a third-party hosting platform is used for maintaining the integrity of the data.
Data Overloading: We are all aware of the fact that businesses, either small or large undergo the processing of quite a large amount of data. In order to process this vast data, the processing power needed is also large, this requires adequate software along with great analytical skills.
Wireless Usage: Mobile usage of devices like smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc. are very much used nowadays as remote work preferences are very high. This mobile usage needs wireless hotspots along with roaming ability.
Large Bandwidth requirement: In today’s time, videoconferencing is in high use as it supports distant education along with a distant work environment. However, this needs large network bandwidth so as to support large network bandwidth.
Due to the above-discussed parameters enabling IT services is very much important.
Paradigms of Information Technology
- The peripheral units connect various computer equipment for collecting and transmitting audio, video, and graphic information, etc.
- The voice response systems that perform interact with computer databases and applications.
- The telephone unit along with radio equipment and switches that make possible voice communication is an example of information technology.
- Any network consisting of data, voice, and video equipment for communication purposes.
- The hardware and software support systems helps in performing tasks like storage, hosting, database management, etc.
- In the educational domain, computers that incorporate information technology are used by teachers as well as students.
- In office automation systems like spreadsheets and word processing is fulfilled by software and support through information technology.
- The radio communication network also makes utilizes information technology.
- Now, you must be thinking that if the above discussed are the inclusive domains of information technology, then what are the domains that are excluded from information technology? The same are discussed below:
- Information technology is not included in stand-alone computer systems that individually work for any chemical or mechanical system like security monitoring system of any residential building.
- Fax machines or xerox machines do not make use of information technology.
- The data entry services of any single commercially operating building.
- Various audio-video equipment like TV, tape recorders, projectors, etc. do not make use of information technology.
Sometimes people might get confused between computer science and information technology as the two hold overlapping contexts of meanings however, the focus of the two are quite different.
Let us have a quick comparison between the two.
Computer Science Vs Information Technology
Computer Science: It is abbreviated as CS whose main focus is on programming the computer system for which mathematical algorithms are used. Some of the major sub-fields of computer science are programming, computer graphics, artificial intelligence, etc.
Artificial Intelligence is one of the emerging fields nowadays as it is such a software technology using which computers which are nothing more than machines can represent behavior relative to humans. Every one of us has heard about robots that exhibit artificial intelligence.
Information Technology: IT revolves around performing the installation and maintenance of computer systems. Along with that, database management and network design is also a part of information technology. Here the professionals have a business environment that helps in the installation of internal networks as well as programming the computer systems.
Thus, it is not wrong to say that information technology and computer science exhibit interdependency and holds quite a close meaning to each other.
- IT services have clearly modeled an easier as well as simpler education system. The reason behind the same is that through information technology, children’s, as well as adult’s education, can be availed even at a remote location.
- The use of information technology has facilitated e-governance and economic development at remote areas.
- IT has made access to different services such as e-commerce easier. As buying or even selling of items can be done by sitting at home or office.
- By the use of IT services, tracking and tracing of either product (like lost items) or living beings (such as missing person, or criminal) becomes easy.
- In the field of the judiciary as well as various other administrative services, information technology can help in strengthening and fastening of the processes taking place.
Hence, it is not wrong to say that information technology has made day-to-day life easier.
It is well known from ancient times that every coin has two sides, so in the case of information technology and so the drawbacks of information technology are as follows:
- Misuse of technology by children as well as criminals for illegal activities is quite high.
- Illegal or unethical use of technology can lead to the defaming of someone’s personal identity.
Hence, we can say, these are basically the bane of information technology.